Earlier this month, I was privileged to be interviewed by one of Canada's national morning news shows regarding the wave of Immigrant Entrepreneurs that are choosing Canada over the USA. I might have a bias. However, it is practically self-evident that their reasons make sense, since:
- Canada is consistently ranked the top ten in the world for livability by various International agencies.
- Our nation is renowned for its stable banking system.
- We have a highly-educated work force.
- You can easily access the USA market and Investors from here AND you get to live here ... not ... (ahem) ... there.
- Canada enjoys favourable trading agreements with many other prosperous regions.
- We are home to the most multicultural city in the world, Toronto.
- Our country promotes a strong start-up ecosystem, replete with business incubators, investors, tax incentives, targeted investment.
- Canada is a relatively peaceful and safe nation.
The uncertainty created by the immigration policies of the Trump administration are threatening to the success of Immigrant Entrepreneurs. Broadly speaking, International Entrepreneurs seek two basic things when they choose a country:
- To feel welcome and at home
- To know that they have a strong chance at prosperity
Therefore, they must have some sense of stability or reasonable realm of predictability with respect to their chosen country's laws, economy and political arena. Right now, it seems the USA is just not the place that provides that. The amazing news is ... CANADA IS the country that does.
Here, "better is always possible".